Driving in Australia as an international student

Australia offers great opportunities for students. The country is very well connected with public transport systems, but, if you live in a non-metropolitan area, self-driving can be a more comfortable option. Moreover, when you have a vehicle at your disposal, you feel free and independent. You can drive back home late at night, have the freedom to go outside anytime you want. It will also offer you a better understanding of the city’s road system and a sense of responsibility. However, before you start driving in Australia, there are a few aspects like licensing, roadworthy Dandenong and more that you must have clear knowledge about:


If you want to drive a vehicle in Australia, you will need to have a driver’s license and carry it with you all the time you drive the vehicle. As a student, you will be considered as temporary residents in Australia. This means that you can drive any vehicle in the country by having a driver license of your home country. However, make sure that the license is valid and applicable to the vehicle you are driving. If you have a license that is written in a foreign language, it is mandatory for you to carry an English translated copy of the license with you all the times.

Road rules in Australia:

The road rules vary from one country to another. If you are driving in Australia, the chances are that you will not be aware of the road rules. So, before you start driving, you need to ensure that you learn all the rules of driving in Australia. Some of the key rules include that you must drive within the speed limits, wear a helmet or a seatbelt, do not use a handheld mobile while driving and always have mandatory documents like roadworthy certificate Dandenong, drivers license and others in your possession.

Know the cost of buying a car:

It is better if you buy a car of your own then taking it on rent every time. You will save a lot of money if you choose to invest in a second-hand vehicle. You might have a limited stay in Australia as a student and buying a second-hand car is a more affordable option. However, while buying a second-hand car, ensure that you check the roadworthy Dandenong certificate of the vehicle. This certificate indicates the roadworthiness of the vehicle and you can assess the price of the vehicle before buying it.

Registration of the vehicle:

When you buy a car, whether new or old, you need to register it. The roadworthy Dandenong certificate is a key document that you will need for any type of name transfers as well as registration.

Get a roadworthy certificate

If you want to get a roadworthy certificate Dandenong, you need to approach an Authorized Inspection Station (AIS). A licensed mechanic would check your vehicle at the station to ensure that it is safe to be driven on the road. If you pass the inspection, you will be provided with a Roadworthy certificate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

19 − 6 =